The proposed Poultry unit brings nine threats to our community:-
1. TRAFFIC DANGER– traffic has already reached danger level on our narrow approach roads. The Betton approach is also a school/nursery run and the increased traffic, including HGV and other heavy vehicles, will prove the tipping point in unacceptable risks.
2. POLLUTION – from 2 tonnes/day of excrement, which will carry in the prevailing wind (SW) along Main Road, plus toxic odour and emissions from the industrial development. Plus run off into the brook adjacent to the site which feeds into the River Tern.
3. ENTRAPMENT – For those unfortunate families close to the site, there is no escape. If you are driven to move, who will buy your house?
4. HERITAGE – The proposed development is close/in line of sight to many Listed Properties, ancient woodland and heritage assets, plus, very close to a beautiful bridleway and footpaths.
5. DEVASTATION – Betton is the attractive gateway to Norton, Best Kept Village and Champion of Champions, Britain in Bloom. The spoiling of this beautiful greenfield site will make a mockery of all the outstanding village work over many years. Are we going to let it happen?
6. MISSION CREEP – This application is the advance guard for a much bigger plan. One unit of 32,000 birds is scarcely viable. Don’t be deceived by this Trojan Horse – 65% of all egg-laying applications in Shropshire are for expansion of facilities.
7. CONSTRUCTION – Concrete access road, tuning circle, barn, feed, silo. Earth moving, light pollution etc.
8. EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS -There are none. Poultry facilities are not labour intensive – they are hen intensive. (32000 hens =1 ½ people). Guess who gets the full time job?
9. HABITAT LOSS – the site has records of protected species such as Barn Owls, Bluebells, Lapwings, Bats, Badgers and Otters on site and adjacent to the site. It is illegal to cause them intentional or unintentional. removal of 170m of ancient hedgerow!